Saturday, July 24, 2010

Hide and Seek

Late at night, usually when Freya needs to go out because she is certain I need no sleep and that he bladder is the size of a dime, I will take the time to play hide and seek with nature. I creep up to the pond and red light the animals, then I will walk around the gazebo because the frogs like to take little dry ground trips. And finally, usually to very little end, I will look for the croaking. The wonderful little frog who sits content in a tree and teases me with his talking. Until a couple of night ago I had never been able to find him. But that all changed. Armed with my headlamp, camera phone, and a dream, I searched, pulling back prickly limb after prickly limb. Then I found him.

There he was, hiding near the top of the short holly tree. I always croaks and sound like he is on the running, flowering vines behind the holly on the fence. I guess that is his own little art of deception. Well not last night. Last night was my night for victory. When I saw him I inched in close because I didn't want to startle him. You know how frogs can be. And as I snapped photos of him another revelation came! There were two of them! Probably having a good laugh at me, no doubt. Well jokes on them, because the Midnight Creeper, Nature's Paparazzi has plastered your faces all over the internet!









Whoa! Two of them! What fun we've had tonight!



Speaking of hide and seek, Conner has always been one for hiding himself wherever he thought we wouldn't see him. When he was a wee little duck whose feathers were just changing color...



Even to yesterday while I was taking pictures.



I've noticed he spends a lot of his time in shadowy corners lurking about. Sometimes you catch him looking at you like a foreign spy, other times he is playing coy looking the other way. He is quite good at what he does.







Even Freya likes to get into the act occasionally. (By the way, look at that tongue! Gracious!)



5 comments:

  1. Such good pictures of the frogs Jer, and Connor and Freya as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just picture you out there, stalking the frogs in your ninja get up! I guess you've really showed them now!

    Freya is a lot more petite than I expected she'd be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, she's smaller than I thought she'd be too. Not that I am complaining, because I figure she will get big soon enough.

    Then again she may not be as old as I thought...7 months...so we will see. I'm going to the vet for a check up and spaying soon, so I will see if they can tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freya,

    Yous gots a tongue almost as big as mine! Mom almost stepped on a big froggie the other night when she was coming in the house, screamed like a girl....oh wait, she is one.:)

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connor is quite the trickster. I LOVE to play HIDE and go seek with my sister!

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete