Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Day: 2

A few things while the pictures are getting in order. Today I went outside in the backyard with the ducks for some alone time, to establish the parental bond. In doing this I hoped to confirm of a few things, and try a few others.

1st. I wanted to see how quickly these ducks would take to water.

2nd. I wanted to see if they would follow me, and I wanted to see if a hierarchy was in order since there are only two of them.

3rd. I wanted to see what exactly they would snack on. The tests were with a snail, worm, clover, grass, and dandelion.

4th. I wanted to test their response to water according to whether they are preening yet.

The answers?

1st. I wanted to see how quickly these ducks would take to water.

The ducks, like the saying, were tried and true. They saw, and recognized our flat black painter's tray. They ran/waddled to it immediately and dove straight in. The answer, a resounding yes. The test, a certified success.

2nd. I wanted to see if they would follow me, and I wanted to see if a hierarchy was in order since there are only two of them.

They do follow, after their attention is gathered from the big world around them. Was, or is there and established hierarchy? I don't believe so, not yet. Conner (the eldest) seems protective of Sally. When we walked he lead all the paths first, but once it was confirmed that they were safe she had free range. Which I thought was a bit adorable. So as of now, no "pecking order".

3rd. I wanted to see what exactly they would snack on. The tests were with a snail, worm, clover, grass, and dandelion.

They love all of these foods. Snails, clover, and worms were a confirmation mostly. The dandelions were my own test. I have read that you don't give the "junk food" (Breads, choc., and other candies.) because it will seriously hurt, or kill them. But a sweet, natural weed? I wanted to see. So far the test is proving triumphant. They loved the petals, and have shown no adverse reactions. Further examination will continue of course.

4th. I wanted to test their response to water according to whether they are preening yet.

They made preening motions, which is a good thing I assume, but the feathers were still showing signs of soaking the water up, therefore clinging together. No oils yet.

As I watched them I noticed a few things quickly, Sally is catching up with Conner in size, and when separate, they are hard to tell apart, and it isn't until they are together that you see which is which. I will need to invest in colored velcro soon.

Aside from all the scientific stuff, these two are hilarious! Sally is quickly becoming the food attacker. She loved the idea of me throwing a worm in the "pool" with them, and actually managed to engorge herself on the whole thing after a tussle that Conner gave up on when presented with a slug. Why fight with food elsewhere, eh? But no fear, Sally is still growing a lot. She is the proverbial weed.

Below is a list of pictures, I took today of them.





No comments:

Post a Comment